Thursday, December 12, 2013

T - 30 Days

In 30 days, I will arrive in Tanzania.  

I am traveling with Team Fox and Embark Adventures.

This has been a dream of mine since I was a teenager, and I didn't think that I would actually ever be able to go. Now that it's 30 days away, it seems definitely more terrifying.

Here is what I have learned so far:
- fundraising is hard. VERY hard. Even for a great cause that already gets a good bit of publicity. 
- it's even harder in the 3rd quarter of the year when everyone is holiday-focused
- even though this is MY bucket list, and my life, I've still had to justify to many, many people WHY I would ever think to do this
- prepping for a trip like this is a huge commitment: financially, emotionally, physically. so far, emotional is hitting me the hardest right now
- the 7100 mile leg of the flight seems like a LONG time to sit still, and I'm worried about boredom and lack of sleep
- even packing for the trip is an arduous process and requires a lot of research
- the trip requires MONTHS of research
- start getting your shots and your meds together months before you take on a trip like this. It takes that long, no joke.

I am making this journey alone. Not in the sense that I am making the climb alone - but that no one is going with me that I know. Not my kids (who are 18 and 20) or my wife. Something about that has hit harder now that I'm closer to making the trip.

I have early onset Parkinson's Disease. I have well controlled symptoms, but I do have 'off' days, and I am wondering what it will be like if I have an 'off' day while on the mountain.

Traveling from the equator to the top of the world in 8 days? I can't wait. They say it will change your life. I want to see how it will change mine.



No comments:

Post a Comment