Thursday, January 16, 2014

Day 1 on the mountain, aka brutality day1

I'd be sleeping right now if there werent a crazy number of people in camp, all being loud. In about 4 languages.

Within the first 5 minutes,  I fell in a gash in the road. Road maintenence is not high on Tanzania's to-do list. I was not injured at all, but embarrassed.

The diamox has started to give me side effects....this morning I woke up with tingly finger and it took about 5 minutes for it to go away,  but it was still disconcerting.

I cant say enough great things about our guide group - they have been amazing. I get a personal porter tomorrow because today sucked so badly. Godlisten and another porter stayed behind with me and helped me as I needed it.

The four hour trip from hell TO the mountain made me feel like I had ridden the Beast at Kings island and that threw my balance off, bad .

My team members were kind and said that they made it to camp 2 hours before me, but 6 is more likely . I'm at just under 10000 feet right now. I made it through day.

Theres a sing we played as we finally marched into camp - red, red wine

And then we tried hard to sing  'just put one foot in front of the other....which we didnt know the words to!

And tomorrow, we do it all over again!

No comments:

Post a Comment