Friday, January 3, 2014

T - 7 Days: Anxiety

I think I've reached the point now where I'm just anxious.... anxious to start new job on Monday, anxious to leave for Africa.

I'm mostly packed and ready to go (yay!), but now I'm at the point where I need to get everything in my bags, signed off, finalized so that I can run home and grab them 7 days from now and get on that first plane. 

I exchanged a few emails yesterday with someone from Team Fox last year, who also has PD. He said that Kili will change my life. I mentioned this to a friend, and he asked me if that was something I am looking for. I had to pause and think about that.

Yes, I guess I do expect it to change my life. How? That's the question that is harder to answer.

I want to prove to myself that I can do this. I want to prove to *others* that I can do this. I want to see Africa, by myself, take beautiful photos and create memories that will last a life time. This is a physical challenge for me, for sure (I think it would be for anyone). It's an emotional challenge (traveling half way across the globe by myself and participating in an intense athletic event as the only solo female and on my own!), and it's a psychological one - I'm 40 yrs old, I've never been in great shape, and I'm facing a debilitating disease. I will never be a marathon runner -- but I will not let PD stop me from doing the things that I love -- and even more importantly, the things that I've always dreamt about. I have a bucket list, and I fully intend to keep working on it!

This is definitely the biggest adventure of my life. And I'm so glad I have a wonderful spouse and dozens of friends pulling for me!


No comments:

Post a Comment